Glamping, a fusion of "glamorous" and "camping," has taken the travel industry by storm. Offering the perfect blend of luxury and nature, glamping businesses are thriving worldwide. For those operating throughout all four seasons and providing geodesic dome tent accommodations, there are specific challenges and opportunities to consider. In this article, we'll explore tips and tricks to make your four-season geodesic dome tent glamping business a success.
1. Choose the Right Location:
Location is paramount in the glamping industry, especially when operating year-round. Select a site that offers diverse seasonal attractions, ensuring your guests have activities to enjoy in both summer and winter. Access to hiking trails, skiing slopes, or nearby cultural events can make your glamping site a year-round destination.
2. Choose the Right Supplier:
Buying a geodesic dome tent and its accessories from one supplier can have several advantages, but it may not always be a strict necessity. Here are some reasons why purchasing both the dome tent and its accessories from a single supplier can be beneficial:
- Compatibility: When you buy a geodesic dome tent and accessories from the same supplier, you can be more confident that the accessories are designed to work seamlessly with the specific dome tent model you've chosen. This helps ensure that components like solar exhaust fans, curtains, or insulation options fit correctly and function as intended.
- Convenience: Shopping from one supplier simplifies the buying process. You can make a single purchase, receive all your items in one shipment, and deal with one customer service point if you have questions or issues. This convenience can save you time and effort.
- Expertise: Suppliers who specialize in geodesic dome tents often have in-depth knowledge of their products and can provide expert advice on accessories that suit your specific needs and intended use.
- Availability: Not all dome tent suppliers are willing to sell their dome accessory products for dome tents manufactured by other companies because they cannot ensure the precise fit and intended functionality of their products in such cases. It's important to note that at Glamping Dome Store, we offer dome tent accessories, with only a few exceptions, and only for our dome tent kits.
Example: If you require a custom insulation layer for a dome structure from a different manufacturer that has a few elements that have to be located and precisely cut out on the layer to match the cover of the dome, certain challenges may arise. Based on our experience, obtaining a specific CAD file necessary for customizations can be difficult, as these files are typically treated as confidential and may not be readily shared by the original manufacturing company.
3. Time Frame: Ordering your dome tent well ahead of your glamping spot opening date is crucial for several important reasons:
- Manufacturing and Lead Time: Dome tents, especially customized or large-scale ones, often have longer manufacturing lead times due to their complex structures and materials or the need to calculate location-specific engineering reports. The manufacturing process may include sourcing materials, fabricating components, and quality control checks. Allocating sufficient time for this process ensures that your dome tent is ready when you need it.
- Shipping and Logistics: Once the dome tent is manufactured, it needs to be transported to your location. Shipping and logistics can add significant time to the overall delivery process, especially if your glamping site is in a remote or challenging-to-reach area. Delays in shipping can disrupt your opening schedule. At Glamping Dome Store, we offer free continental shipping for deliveries within the USA and Canada (with a few exceptions), Australia, and New Zealand (exceptions and conditions apply).
- Permitting and Approvals: Depending on your location and the size of the dome tent, you may need to obtain permits or approvals from local authorities or landowners. The permitting process can be time-consuming, and it's essential to start early to ensure you have all the necessary permissions in place for your opening date and before ordering dome tents. You may find it useful to read our Blogs on permitting for glamping site (Part I and Part II)
- Deck construction: The time it takes to build a deck for a geodesic dome tent can vary significantly depending on several factors, including the size and complexity of the deck, the materials used, the experience of the builders, and local weather conditions. Here are some general considerations that can affect the construction timeline: deck size and complexity; availability of experienced contractors and materials; local regulations and permits; weather conditions, etc. At Glamping Dome Store, we offer an engineered deck building guide for each dome tent size listed online, complete with detailed descriptions and all the measurements you'll need. We highly recommend adhering to our guide for dome tent platform construction, as it has been engineered to meet optimal wind load requirements established in our standard engineering report for each dome tent size. By following the guide's specifications, you can have confidence in the platform's stability and performance. Also, when your platform matches your dome's dimensions, it simplifies the process of achieving a watertight seal along the cover's edges. This essential step prevents rainwater or meltwater from seeping into the interior of your dome tent, ensuring a dry and comfortable environment while also keeping critters out.
- Contingency Planning: Unforeseen challenges, such as weather delays or unexpected construction obstacles, can arise during the setup of your glamping site. Ordering well ahead of time provides a buffer period to accommodate any unexpected setbacks without jeopardizing your opening date.
- Marketing and Promotion: To maximize the success of your glamping site, you'll likely want to start marketing and promoting it well in advance. This includes creating a website, developing marketing materials, and building anticipation among potential guests. Having a set opening date that you can confidently meet helps with marketing efforts. Turn your hospitality business into a guest magnet—visit our Glamping as Business page for more information.
Guest Bookings: Guests may start booking reservations well in advance of your opening date. Ensuring that your dome tent is ready on time allows you to honour these bookings and provide a positive experience for your guests.
In the hospitality industry, meeting deadlines and providing a consistent and reliable experience for guests are paramount. Ordering your dome tent well in advance and carefully planning the setup and opening process helps you avoid last-minute stress, ensures a smooth opening, and contributes to the success of your glamping venture.
4. Climate Control Solutions:
To cater to different seasons, consider climate control options. Wood-burning stoves, electric heaters, and air conditioning units can make a significant difference in guest comfort. Invest in radiant flooring heat systems to ensure they are well-heated to provide comfort during cold winters and are equipped with ventilation and an AC unit for hot summer stays. Make sure guests know how to operate these systems for a cozy winter retreat or a cool summer escape.
5. Year-Round Amenities: Offer year-round amenities such as hot tubs, fire pits, and well-stocked kitchens. These extras can enhance the glamping experience in any season. In winter, a hot tub under the stars or a cozy evening by the fire can be truly magical.
TIP: It's always a great idea to separate the living area from the kitchen and bathroom and invest in an extra shed shelter option just beside a dome tent, where you will be able to set up a kitchenette and bathroom unit. For an ideal AirBnB dome setup, we recommend a 19.7 ft (6 m) dome tent size. This size offers versatility and can easily accommodate multiple units. Managing heating and cooling within these compact spaces is efficient and not a concern, ensuring your guests enjoy a comfortable stay.
6. Unique Seasonal Packages:
Create unique seasonal packages to attract guests during specific times of the year. For example, offer snowshoeing and ice skating experiences in the winter and hiking and stargazing packages in the summer. Tailoring your offerings to each season can boost bookings.
7. Lighting and Ambiance:
Incorporate adjustable lighting to set the ambiance in your geodesic domes. Warm, dimmable lights can create a cozy atmosphere during winter evenings, while brighter options are perfect for summer mornings. Lighting plays a significant role in enhancing guest experiences.
Additionally, it's crucial not to overlook the essential grounding and bonding techniques necessary for ensuring a safe geodesic dome tent setup. You can find comprehensive guidance on this critical topic in a glamping blog that emphasizes the significance of grounding and bonding in geodesic dome tent installations.
8. Local Partnerships:
Establish partnerships with local businesses and tour operators that offer seasonal activities. Collaborating with nearby ski resorts, nature guides, or event organizers can provide guests with a range of options for entertainment and exploration.
9. Effective Marketing:
Promote your four-season geodesic dome glamping business through targeted marketing campaigns. Highlight the unique experiences and seasonal packages you offer. Leverage social media, online travel platforms, and partnerships with travel bloggers to reach a wider audience.
If you are interested in learning more about the glamping industry, you can listen to the podcast The Business of Glamping and Unique Holiday Rentals, available in all the usual places.
And there is always more to discover! FREE ebook:
10. Staff Training:
Ensure your staff is well-trained to handle the challenges of each season. They should be knowledgeable about safety measures, equipment maintenance, and providing exceptional guest experiences year-round.
11. Sustainability Practices:
Implement sustainable practices in your glamping business. Eco-friendly initiatives, such as composting, energy-efficient lighting, and responsible waste management, can attract environmentally conscious travellers and reduce your carbon footprint.
Running a four-season geodesic dome tent glamping business is a rewarding endeavor that can captivate guests throughout the year. By selecting the right location, investing in quality accommodations, and tailoring experiences to each season, you can provide unforgettable getaways for your guests. With thoughtful planning and attention to detail, your glamping business can thrive in all seasons, making it a sought-after destination for nature lovers and luxury seekers alike.